How to register on the Cowin portal for the booster dose, precautionary dose for seniors
From today, people over the age of 60 will be eligible for a “precautionary dose” of the Covid-19 vaccine. The same is also granted to those who are registered as frontline workers such as healthcare workers, nurses, doctors, etc. Although the government has said that it is not necessary to register to get the “precautionary dose”, and walk-in visits are allowed, registering on Cowin may make it easier to obtain an appointment. fixed time window for this vaccination dose.
Cowin says users will be eligible for a precautionary dose if the following conditions are met: If you are registered as a healthcare worker (HWC) or frontline worker (FLW) or a citizen aged 60 or older . In addition, you should already be fully vaccinated according to the vaccination details recorded on the website.
The Precautionary Dose option will only appear if 39 weeks have passed after receiving your full vaccination, which is nine months. Pre-booking a slot on Cowin will also ensure you get in at a set time and leave quickly, which is ideal given the increase in Covid-19 cases.
Here’s how to sign up for the “precautionary dose” on the Cowin portal or using the Aarogya Setu app
- Open cowin.gov.in or in the Aarogya Setu app, go to the Cowin tab and tap on the vaccination tab.
- Log in with the mobile number you used during the previous registration. If someone else has registered on your behalf, please ask them for a One Time Password (OTP) when using that particular mobile number. Remember that up to 4 people can register with the same mobile number on the Cowin portal.
- After signing in, you will likely see your name and profile. If you have not yet been vaccinated and plan to do so now, you will need to register.
- For those who are fully vaccinated and eligible for the precautionary dose, the system will display the locations for the precautionary dose in the Appointment module.
- Press the “Precautionary Dose” tab, then choose the appointments.
- Choose the appointment based on your location, PIN, etc. and press / click on Make an appointment. The appointment must be confirmed and the details can be downloaded from the app.
Signing up on Cowin for the first time: here’s how
- For those registering for the first time, you will need to enter the photo ID type, number and full name. You will also need to enter the gender and age. For the photo ID, you can choose from a driver’s license, Aadhaar card, or even a passport as proof of photo ID.
- Once registration is complete, you will be redirected to the “Make an appointment for vaccination” page. Enter details like Status / UT, PIN code, etc. and search.
- A list of vaccination centers will appear depending on your location. Choose the desired time and date and make an appointment.
Keep in mind that Cowin recommends that users bring their registered cell phone, photo ID to the appointment. It also specifies that the elderly, aged 60 years or over and presenting co-morbidities, should only take precautionary doses after medical advice. In addition, a session once booked cannot be canceled, but it can be rescheduled. Once your appointment is confirmed, an SMS will also be sent to you with the details confirming it.