Illinois extends driver’s license and ID expiration dates for the last time – NBC Chicago
The expiration dates for Illinois driver’s licenses and ID cards have been extended for another three months, Secretary of State Jesse White said on Friday.
The extension moves the deadline for driver’s licenses and ID cards from January 1, 2022 to March 31, 2022. White’s office noted that the extension does not apply to commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs). and CDL apprenticeship permits.
This will be the last expansion, White said.
“During the pandemic, my office continued to serve the public, including face-to-face transactions, in a safe and responsible manner,” White said in a statement. “This extension is necessary as my office continues to handle the high volume of clients caused by the COVID-19 pandemic through expanded online services and the introduction of appointments at some driver service facilities.”
Here’s what you need to renew a standard Illinois driver’s license:
- Present a document showing proof of identity, which could contain your:
- Written signature (current driver’s license, canceled check, court order, credit card)
- Date of birth (birth certificate, adoption certificate, citizenship certificate, US passport)
- Social security number (social security card, form W-2)
- Residence (bank statement, insurance policy, pay stub, utility bill)
- Provide any driver’s license or ID currently valid out of state
- Pass all necessary tests, such as vision screening
- Take a picture for the driver’s license
For the full list of acceptable documents, click here.
White highlighted several efforts to reduce customer demand at Illinois driver services facilities during the pandemic, including:
• Require appointments at some driver services facilities for drive-thru road tests, real ID cards, standard driver’s licenses and ID cards. Customers can visit Ilsos.gov for a list of participating facilities, as well as to make an appointment. New meeting slots will be available every day on Ilsos.gov.
• Extension of remote renewal for holders of driving licenses and identity cards. Since the fall, the office has sent letters to eligible clients with expired driver’s licenses and IDs requiring them to renew online, by phone or by mail. The bureau estimates that this will eliminate the need for approximately 1 million people to visit a facility.
• Urge the public to consider using the online services at Ilsos.gov instead of visiting an establishment for transactions such as purchasing license plate stickers, obtaining duplicate license plates. driver’s license or ID card, and renewal of driver’s licenses and ID cards, including TRUE IDs, for those who are eligible.
Wondering how this affects the REAL ID deadline?
White note: “The US Department of Homeland Security has extended the federal REAL identification deadline to May 3, 2023.”